Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

French frogs?

I was waiting for the metro the other day when I noticed a new poster out from the RATP, trying to encourage people not to jump the metro turnstiles because they risk being stopped by an RATP worker and paying a fine.  Only, on the poster they show an innocent French woman who is passing the turnstile with her ticket as she should, and then next to her a (presumably) French person next to her, represented by a frog, jumping the turnstile.

sorry for the horrible picture quality, I had to take it with my cell phone from
the opposite platform

I understand they wanted to choose an animal that is known for jumping to help get their point across, but did they really have to choose a frog?  I mean, the French stereotype right there on an RATP poster?  It made me laugh...

2 comments:

  1. That's a good, and funny!, point. :) I like the one with the water buffalo charging onto the car before the other people can get off. The one I can't figure out is the one where the guy is a skunk or a badger? It seems like it has to do with the fact that he is sprawling all over the seat when it is crowded. But the way I took it was that perhaps his pits stink and he has B.O.? (lol - also a stereotype) It would help if my French comprehension were better and if the oncoming Métro had not blocked it before I got a chance at my snail's pace to try to comprehend the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the one with the water buffalo yet. And I did see the other one you were talking about, today actually. I think he is supposed to be sloth, at least that is my guess, because the message underneath says something about not being lazy so I thought they might have tied that in to the deadly sin of sloth...not 100% sure though!

    ReplyDelete