Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

A la biche au bois

Last week I mentioned that Lionel and I went to one of my favorite restaurants here in Paris to celebrate our second anniversary.  Let me just say that, as usual, it was fabulous.

A la biche au bois (45 avenue Ledru-Rollin in the 12th, 01 43.43.34.38) is a great restaurant serving delicious French cooking in very large quantities for a pretty reasonable price.

They serve a number of traditional French dishes such as coq au vin, homemade foie gras, terrines and steak au poivre all year, and during hunting seasonn they also serve gibiers, or game.  My favorite time of year to go is during hunting season because their cassoulette de biche is incredible.  I pair it with the salade biche en entrée, whatever cheeses I feel like, and then the amazing opéra biche en dessert.  We wash it all down with a good bottle of wine, and then we roll ourselves out the door as it is nearly impossible to avoid stuffing yourself at this place.

the delicious cassoulette de biche served with the best mashed potatoes I have ever had.
I would have taken photos of the other courses, but I was too busy eating and I forgot.

The restaurant has a great fixed price menu and the price is more than reasonable for the quality and quantity you receive.  For 26.90 euros you get your choice of appetizer, your choice of main dish, your choice of cheeses off of the cheese platter that they bring to your table (I highly recommend the chèvre au poivre) and your choice of dessert.  That's right...4 courses for less than 30 euros.  While this may seem expensive (and we certainly only go once or twice a year for special occasions or with visiting family), the food is excellent and homemade.

The place is small but comfortable and the owner is very nice.  The service is great by French standards, thus average by American standards, and the restaurant has somewhat of an old-fashioned feel to it.  While the decor may leave a bit to be desired, the food is the real treat, and in my opinion, you can't go wrong.  I've tasted a number of things off the menu and I've never been disappointed.  Though if I go during hunting season I never order anything but that cassoulette de biche.

I definitely suggest checking this place out, but reservations are a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment