Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Planning and stuff

Life is still pretty calm here.  We've made it past the freezing cold temperatures we were having and it has been very warm for January for the past two days.  Unfortunately this unseasonably warm weather is only going to last through tomorrow and then the temperatures are going to plummet and snow is expected again this weekend.

Lionel and I have been busy working on moving preparations and plans.  I shipped out the first of many boxes this weekend, but I am really trying to limit myself on the belongings I bring back with me this time.  We won't have all the international travelers helping with extra suitcases so I'm trying to keep it at only a few (4-5?) boxes shipped over the next few months and then the suitcases we will be able to bring on our flight.  It's tough though as I find it hard to part with every memory from my former American life and I have a serious problem parting with books.

We've also been trying to finalize our plans for the last month before we move and hope to have an official departure date in the next 1-2 weeks so we can buy our extremely expensive one-way flights that involve 18-25 hours of travel time (how is this even possible!!!!).  From the way it's looking we will probably be officially moving sometime around May 22, though May 16 would have been better because flight prices jump up on the 17th and don't come back down.  But because of complications with my job my last day probably won't be until April 19 or 22 and we are planning a road trip west right after that and then hopefully Lionel's parents will be coming to take the cat back and they want to travel a little too.  So we have to fit in 2 trips, packing, final preparations and goodbyes in a very short time.

Since none of these plans are completely sure at the moment and Lionel's parents are still hesitating on coming, we can't pick our official date yet, but with any luck this will all be figured out in the next week or two and then we will be able to really make some concrete plans.  Except, of course, for the complications of my job and not knowing exactly when my last day will be.  But since that question can't be answered until the day I give my 2-weeks notice, we have to assume I'll be working through April 22 and plan from there.

Other than that, we are getting out of town this weekend for a skiing trip in West Virginia.  A group of 10-15 of us are renting a cabin in the mountains for a long weekend and just getting out and relaxing.  Lionel and I won't be skiing though.  I've never skied and I'm not ready to try now and though Lionel loves to ski, we don't want to spend the money on ski pants, ski coats, etc to use for 2 days when we will never be able to get them back to France with us.  So I'm hoping to spend one day snowshoeing in the mountains and enjoying the scenery and another just relaxing, enjoying the hot tub at the cabin and visiting the nearby "village".  We will be leaving on Thursday night after work and driving back on Sunday (hopefully making it back in time to watch the Super Bowl!), so we only have two full days in the mountains but it should be a fun and relaxing weekend full of good times, good food and good friends.

I probably won't get around to posting again till we get back, but then I should have lots to share about our weekend trip.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is a lot cheaper to buy round trip tickets... You don't have to use the other end, and it might make it a lot cheaper...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun in the mountains! Can't wait to see some pics!

    And I'm a compulsive planner too...the only thing I've learned is that you can plan all you want, but things just tend to work themselves out no matter how much (or little) you stress about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following your move to Bordeaux with great anticipation. I can't wait to read what you think of Bordeaux!

    I'm only sorry I won't be there to welcome you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashleyenfrance - We've been looking at both and it seems to just depend on the day, the airports we use and how much time we are willing to spend on the trip. We still haven't decided what we are going to do...

    Crystal - We had an overall great time (see next post for details). I just can't help wanting to plan something this big. I just want the move to go smoothly and it seems like I'm just not going to be able to control it an plan it as well as I did the last time and it's very frustrating! But I'm trying my best to deal with it.

    Den nation - I'm glad to hear you are following along, I hope I don't disappoint! I feel pretty confident I'm going to like Bordeaux but it is a shame I won't have a welcoming committee! :)

    ReplyDelete