Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Visits, friends and fun

I've had a very busy past week or so.  Besides, of course, working and working on the house, my friend Amy was in France for a two week vacation, and she spent the past week staying with us in Bordeaux and then she and I traveled up to Paris for the weekend.  She's still in Paris and flies back to the US tomorrow, but I had to come back last night to work. 

We had a wonderful visit together.  I hadn't seen her since our return to the US, when we stayed with her for a few days near Fort Lauderdale after our cruise and before heading up to Ohio.  She's from Florida and we originally met a few years ago in Paris, where she was studying at the time.  She showed up at a barbecue at our apartment on a first date with one of Lionel's friends.  We didn't even know he was bringing anyone, and imagine my surprise when he showed up with a fellow American!  Their relationship fizzled shortly after that, but Amy and I became fast friends.  She had to leave France because of visa issues just a few weeks before we did, and then a few months after her return to the US she moved to Australia for a year, so we hadn't seen each other in a year and a half, but we kept in contact.  I was thrilled to hear she was planning a trip to France to visit with friends and that she was planning it for after our return so we were able to have her visit us in Bordeaux.

We spent a lovely week enjoying good food and wine, relaxing, catching up and visiting some of the area and then we headed up to Paris on Friday to spend the weekend catching up with some more good friends and revisiting old haunts.

While she was here we kept ourselves quite busy with an evening visit of Bordeaux, and my first time exploring the city since we moved here:

La Garonne
 
walking along the quais de la Garonne
 
the miroir d'eau in Bordeaux at Place de la Bourse
 
La Porte Cailhau
 
Place de la Comédie

And we took Amy out to the Bassin d'Arcachon for a visit: 
 
on top of the Dune de Pyla
 
enjoying the beautiful view from the Dune de Pyla
 
enjoying some oysters in the port de Gujan-Mestras
 
le port de Biganos, probably the prettiest port I've seen on the bassin

And we went to St. Emilion:
 
 view of St. Emilion and the vineyards
 
vineyards of St. Emilion
 
exploring St. Emilion
 
enjoying some St. Emilion in the heart of St. Emilion
 
a view over the town
 
 
walking around St. Emilion

And then we were off to Paris: 
 
spending a relaxing Sunday afternoon enjoying falafel from L'As du Fallafel in the Place des Vosges
 
relaxing along the Seine
 
walking past Notre Dame on the way to meet a friend, I just couldn't resist the urge to take a picture since blue skies are so rare in Paris
 
I was shocked by how clean the Conciergerie looked when we crossed the Seine, so I had to take a pic 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! I've just passed by Bordeaux and never stopped to visit properly. It looks like a really great city.

    And the Dune de Pyla is on my bucket list of things to do/see in France! Maybe I'll have to come visit you and we can go together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything I've heard about Bordeaux has been very positive and what I've seen of the city seems very nice. I'm looking forward to eventually having the time to explore it more!

      Definitely come out and visit sometime, I'll be happy to take you to the Dune de Pyla! It is beautiful and a great place to spend a sunny day.

      Delete
  2. What a busy weekend! Looking at these pictures makes me so nostalgic... oh well, won't be long now.

    I love going to the Dune de Pyla! The only problem there is that when you come back up you get all hot and sweaty, but the views and the swim are worth it! Going to St. Emilion never gets old either.

    Enjoy Bordeaux and the nice weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I just noticed that it's raining all week in Bordeaux. And I thought last year was bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the only problem with the Dune de Pyla is coming back up! But the view is worth it! I've never actually gone swimming at the Dune. We usually just go up, walk along the top, walk down to the sea and then climb back up again. But then again, most of the time I go the weather isn't conducive to swimming.

      I was going to ask what nice weather you were talking about, but then you left your second comment. Yes, it's raining all week, as it has been doing for most of the time I've been here. I'm definitely getting sick of the rain and I really wish summer would hurry up and get here, and then stick around for a few months rather than a day or two! I sure hope it isn't going to be like this every year.

      Delete