Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

La Rochelle and les îles

I know, it's been awhile (two weeks!) since my last post.  What can I say, I've been busy.  And then every time I would sit down with the intention of posting, I just had no ideas.  And then I would get distracted by something else.  But today I realized I actually have a lot to post about and I just need to get the motivation to sit down and do it.  So today I'm starting off easy with some photos of the little trip Lionel and I took this weekend to visit La Rochelle, the Ile de Ré and the Ile d'Oléron.

It's been 10 years since the last time I visited La Rochelle, back when I was a college junior studying abroad for the first time and a trip to Poitiers and La Rochelle was one of our group weekend excursions.  So Lionel and I were wanting to get out of town for a weekend, but not too far away as we wanted it to only be a one night trip.  We thought about driving down to Spain, but decided to save that for warmer weather, so in the end we opted for La Rochelle and the nearby islands.  After weeks of nearly non stop rain we got very lucky and the weather started to clear as we were crossing the bridge to Ile de Ré on Saturday and we enjoyed overall pleasant weather for the weekend, just a few short showers here and there on Saturday.

We had a great time and Lionel really loved La Rochelle.  The islands were both very nice and we really enjoyed exploring the area, discovering La Rochelle together, and just getting out of town for a few days.

Ile de Ré:

a beach on Ile de Ré

Lionel and I enjoying the beach

walking along la digue

Lionel walking on the beach

Phare des Baleines

enjoying the view from the end of the island

port of Saint Martin de Ré

La Rochelle:

the old town

Tour de la Lanterne and the ramparts

view over the Vieux Port from the ramparts

the Vieux Port at night

entrance to the Vieux Port

the 3 towers of the Vieux Port de La Rochelle

Square Rasteau in the historical center...my cat is famous, he has his own square!

Ile d'Oléron:

view over to Ile d'Oléron from Fouras

view of Fort Enet, Fort Boyard and the Ile d'Oléron from Fouras

La Grande Plage on Ile d'Oléron

Phare de Chassiron

at the far end of the island

the beach in Boyardville

view of Fort Boyard

No comments:

Post a Comment