Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Retour à Paris

Lionel and I spent the past weekend in Paris visiting with friends, checking out old haunts and celebrating my birthday. It was the first time Lionel has been back since we left in November 2011 and only the second time I've been back (the last with my friend Amy in June).

In a lot of ways it felt like coming home. Paris is a city I will always love, despite the fact that there are also some things I know I hate about it. After this weekend I realized that if the opportunity presented itself, I probably wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to move back. Though that is definitely not in our current plans, I'm just saying I don't think I would hesitate much if life pushed us in that direction. 

Anyway, we spent a really wonderful 3-day weekend in Paris. We got to see a lot of friends and we really enjoyed having the opportunity to catch up with everyone. We also enjoyed the chance to take advantage of the free transportation in Paris over the weekend as a result of a spike in pollution (though the hazy cloud of pollution that greeted us upon our arrival Friday night was less than welcome), so thanks RATP!  Though it was very, very strange to see all the gates and stiles open in the metro!

Friday we got in late and just hung out at a friend's chatting until the wee hours of the morning. We took it kinda easy on Saturday and went out for lunch and stopped at the store to pick up supplies for the evening. Saturday night we met up with a big group of friends at another friend's house and enjoyed an apero with an incredible view over the sparkling Eiffel Tower. 


We finally decided that rather than go out for dinner we would just stay in and order pizzas and continue catching up (and drinking). At midnight it was officially my birthday so I received "joyeux anniversaires" and bisous all around. Once again we stayed up obscenely late but it was worth it. Sunday Lionel and I spent my birthday taking advantage of the beautiful weather. We went for a walk across half the city enjoying the streets and monuments we know so well.  Really, in the end, it was an ideal way to spend my birthday and the day couldn't have been more perfect.  Then we headed off to a friend's house for drinks before grabbing dinner in Belleville and ringing in another friend's birthday at midnight.  Monday came around and we very reluctantly got on the train back to Bordeaux.






All in all an excellent weekend and one I hope to repeat soon. But I would be lying if I said it didn't make us start thinking a bit about what it would be like to be back and if we would even want that. Though it's not very likely I must admit I really do miss Paris!

2 comments:

  1. We think about living in Paris every time we visit, though we've never lived there before. I love our quiet little country life, but Paris would be . . . Paris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel, and I've lived there before. Something about Paris just draws you in.

      Delete